The vanity nears completion…

As you can see we’re one step closer to being finished. The water is hooked up and running. The most expensive part of this whole project was the 1 3/4 inch socket and the adapter I bought to tighten down the sink from below. Who knew that the hardest part of the whole thing would be figuring out how to tighten the sink down, apparently they don’t make extended sink drains for running through thicker countertops.

i think the best part about having it hooked up is being able to wash your hands in the middle of the sink. Very few things are more irritating than a short sink spout… First world problems hey?

Finally the bathroom vanity progresses…

So we finally got around to taking the next step in fixing our bathroom vanity. As you know we have had a fir slab ready for the project in for several months now,  and as I finally felt guilty enough to stop procrastinating I decided to do something about it. Actually my wife made me feel guilty about procrastinating. I almost feel guilty about removing the sink. Every time I look at it it just looks so excited to see me.

imageimage

As you can see it is a beautiful shade of early 80’s green. It was never a good color and has not aged very gracefully.

 

imageimage

In Pretty short order my manly helper and I had the sink removed. It was all held in by a few dabs of glue and some 2 inch finishing nails.

With the addition of a couple supports the room is ready for the new sink.

image

The slab has been mostly finished for a while now but I still had to square it up and cut it to length.

imageimage

I used my home made track saw mark 2 to make the initial cut then a hand saw to finish up.

After cutting it to length I flipped it over and used a combination of circular saw and chisel to make a rabbet for the slab to rest on the supports.

image

Now for the test fit.

image

Looking good, but now I need to do a bunch of messing around to get the plumbing hooked up and functioning.